Due to the emergence of the pandemic, the concept of the workplace has now become obsolete. Data is not stored in devices nor is kept safe in the company’s files. Rather, it is safeguarded on the cloud. The pace of cybercrime continues to pose a threat to security teams and strategies should be checked regularly. At this stage, cybersecurity has a vital role to play for cloud and DevOps consulting.
Cloud security and cyber security are the need of the hour for all businesses, and that has some integrated digital challenges too. Let’s see what are they in detail:
Credential and access management
Common threats in both cloud and security management can be credential and access issues due to one or many reasons below:
- Weak passwords are the primary reason for the attacks
- Lack of multi-factor authentication
- Absence of password, automated cryptographic key, and certificate rotation
- Mishandling of Excessive admin accounts, zombie accounts, credentials, and users bypassing IAM controls are also more reasons.
In these cases, you can do the following:
- paying extra attention to data that is accessible from the internet;
- defining the company vision of data and the impact of its loss; and
- creating and implementing a strong attack response plan
Insecure interfaces and APIs
The exposed components of a cloud environment are the CSP UIs along with APIs. The safety of a cloud service begins with how these are kept to be protected, and it is the duty of both consumers and consumer support checkpoints. Security should be integrated, & the businesses must be quick and efficient in managing the threats.
We recommend following the below tips:
- defining value of the data and the result of its loss;
- protecting data via encryption; and
- having a strong, well-tested incident response plan.
Cloud hacking, which is one of the most difficult threats to tackle in cyber security for businesses, is becoming a commonplace incident. It is mostly committed to acquiring competitor data.
We recommend taking these steps:
- conducting security awareness training;
- fixing misconfigured cloud servers; and
- restricting access to critical systems.
- Take advice on AWS consulting services.
Phishing is sending false communications to steal information, which seemingly comes from a reliable source. Other resources like login credentials and credit card identity can also be stolen through phishing. And it is done through various ways, such as shopping and even illegal money transfer. It is one of the major challenges of both cyber security and the cloud.
We recommend doing the following:
- monitoring employee cloud use; and
- using cloud data loss prevention technologies.
The exposure of a cloud account to hackers is critical to this operation. It can also be subject to weak maintenance, or administration of a cloud account environment. If these accounts are hacked, massive data loss can occur. Various reasons lead to account hijacking:
- Weak or stolen credentials
- Improper coding
- Account compromise
We recommend doing the following as the first action:
- Remembering that password reset cannot stop account hijacking; and
- using defense-in-depth and IAM controls.
To learn more about our cloud consulting services, visit our Services page.